Linguistic Data: Quantitative Analysis and Visualisation: linguistic theory
- Instructors: Ilya Schurov and Olga Lyashevskaya
|Jan 18||Introduction. Quantitative linguistic research and data types. R basics||Intro Slides Lab 01: intro to R|
|Jan 25||Hypothesis testing. Binomial test. R: dataframes||lab02|
|Feb 1||Estimating of population mean. Central Limit Theorem|
|Feb 8||One sample t-test. Working with dataframes. Selection by condition.||selection by condition, one sample t-test|
|Feb 15||Two sample t-test. Usage of
|Feb 22||ANOVA. Confidence intervals. tidyverse library.||notebook|
|Feb 29||Chi-squared test.||Rmd, pdf|
|March 7||Correlations. Scatter plots.||notebook|
|April 8||Bivariate regression.||video|
|April 15||Multiple regression and causal questions.||video, notebook|
|April 22||More on linear regressions. Significance of coefficient. Dummy variables.||video|
|April 29||Logistic regression||video|
|May 6||Random effects. Mixed effects models||video|
|May 13||Principal components anaylysis||video|
|id||links||due date||upload link|
|HW1||Rmd, pdf||Feb. 9, 23:59:59||here|
|HW2||Rmd, pdf||Feb. 24, 23:59:59||here|
|HW3||Rmd, pdf||April 16, 23:59:59||here|
During this course we will use R as a programming language and RStudio as a GUI.
How to install R and RStudio?
1. Download R (you can choose another mirror here if you wish) and install it on your computer. Make sure you did it before installing RStudio.
2. Download RStudio (you need RStudio Desktop Open Source License) and install it on your computer. It is recommended to create a shortcut for RStudio during installation.
It is possible avoid installing anything on your PC, using rstudio.cloud (an online version of RStudio).
For successful submission of assignments you should be able to create and save R code files (.R) and RMarkdown files (.Rmd).
- Gries, Stefan (2013). Statistics for Linguistics with R : A Practical Introduction (Vol. 2nd revised edition). Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton. HSE library link
- Levshina, Natalia (2015). How to Do Linguistics with R : Data Exploration and Statistical Analysis. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company. HSE library link
- Baayen, Harald (2008). Analyzing Linguistic Data: A practical introduction to statistics. Cambridge UP. pdf