Linguistic Data: Quantitative Analysis and Visualisation for computer linguists
Here will be published the materials of the course "Linguistic Data: Quantitative Analysis and Visualisation", taught at the Master programme "Computational Linguistics" in 2018-2019 academic year.
- Instructors: Olga Lyashevskaya, George Moroz, Alla Tambovtseva and Ilya Schurov.
- Modules: 3-4
During this course we will use R as a programming language and RStudio as a GUI.
How to install R and RStudio?
1. Download R (you can choose another mirror here if you wish) and install it on your computer. Make sure you did it before installing RStudio.
2. Download RStudio (you need RStudio Desktop Open Source License) and install it on your computer. It is recommended to create a shortcut for RStudio during installation.
It is possible avoid installing anything on your PC, using online version of RStudio.
How to use RStudio?
Read the instruction here.
For successful submission of assignments you should be able to create and save R code files (.R). However, it would be helpful for your own research projects to learn how to create RMarkdown files (.Rmd).
|Date||Topic of the lecture||Seminar||Optional|
|12.01||Something about data: population vs sample, descriptive statistics||problems1 r-basics||RMarkdown: official page, cheatsheet|
|19.01||Population and samples. Working with data in R||artisits Chi.kuk|
R seminars in pdf
12 January: r-basics
- Homework 1 (deadline: 27 January, 23:59)
- Homework 2 (deadline: 03 February, 23:59)